When I was pregnant with my first baby, I was working at a school. Instead of having the normal baby shower for me, the teachers and staff gave me a Book Shower, gifting me their favorite baby and toddler books to start my child’s love of reading from the beginning.
Now, when someone I know has a baby, I give them a basket of my favorite baby books. My husband and I started reading to each of our children when they were only a few months old. It’s one of our best pieces of advice for new parents for several reasons:
- It’s a key ingredient of a nightly bedtime routine.
- It’s a calming activity to wind down excited brains and bodies.
- It’s the perfect excuse to snuggle and sneak in top-of-the-baby-head kisses.
- You’re setting up a lifelong love of books for your future reader.
- Books enhance imagination, and there’s nothing more fun than raising an imaginative child.
- Reading aloud to children brings out your child-like imagination and is a stress-reliever for you too! It’s fun to make the silly voices and act out scenes. It gives your child a front row seat to see your personality, and it’s a simple way to let go of your daily stresses.